Saturday, June 9, 2012

That Mom in the Bikini

On Thursday, I loaded up the kids and some good friends from Blythewood and headed out to the beach.  We were going to go to Folly Beach, but it was high tide and as many of you know, there is no beach to be had at Folly at high tide.  So, I directed the car to my FAVORITE beach- Kiawah.  I love Kiawah becasue it holds a lot of good memories for me but also because of the lifeguards at Beachwalker Park.  I simply feel safer knowing there are other eyes on my children.  Anyway, on to the point of the story....

For the past several years, since I had children, I have been a bit overweight.  Not obese, just had some pounds I wanted to lose.  This past winter I managed to lose a whopping 20 pounds!!!!! And, yes, I am very proud of myself!  I told myself that when I lost the weight, I was going to buy a bathing suit that I loved and that it was going to be a bikini.  I am now the proud owner of a modest, yet cute, black bikini.






Anyway, we get to the beach, schlep all the coolers, toys, towels, etc. out to our spot and set up camp.  The kids already had sunscreen on so they headed straight for the tide pools until Mom could get sunscreen on and take them out in the water.  I took off my cover-up, put on a bottle of sunscreen, and headed for the ocean.  I was feeling really good- 38 years old, mother of 2, WEARING a bikini.  Then it hit me....OMG, am I THAT mom in the bikini that everyone is secretly laughing at?  You know the one I am talking about.  The woman who so obviously doesn't realize her friendship with bikinis is over??  What if I was that woman????  I stayed in the water with the children, but now feeling self conscious.  Would every eye be on my cellulite as I walked up the beach to take a break in the sun?  Then, something occurred to me.....I REALLY didn't care what anybody on that beach thought.  No, I am not 22 with a size 2 body, but I am fit, I worked hard to lose my weight, and darnit, I am going to enjoy it. 

You see, I have spent much of my life worrying about what other people think of me, always secretly worrying that they don't approve of my choices.  Well guess what?  I don't care anymore!!!  I love who I am becoming and that is all that matters.  In this life, I need to love God, love my children and LOVE MYSELF!!!!  So to all you ladies out there that worry everytime you have to donn the dreaded bathing suit, I say, "Love yourself!  Love your body!  Rock the bikini like it's nobody's business!!!"

Ok, now, your turn to talk....Let me know your feelings about moms and bikinis, going to the beach, or our obsession with body image.  I can't wait to see your feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment