Wednesday, June 6, 2012

State of Mind

Do you remember that song by Clint Black called "State of Mind"?  I don't think anyone really knew it by that name, but rather, by it's chorus-"Ain't it funny how a melody can bring back a memory, take you to another place in time, completely change your state of mind?" Those words have been running through my head today, as I heard a song that took me back to another place in time.  For that one moment, while I listened to the lyrics, I really was transported back in time to a very fond memory.

The mind is a strange and complex thing and I am greatly intrigued by it.  I find it fascinating that songs and smells can bring memories flooding back that you had long since forgotten.  I love it when the memory is good, but if it is not so good, it always seems like the words get stuck in my head  and I am left to ponder the memory for quite some time.

Looking back, I can pinpoint a few songs that have meaning for me: "Losing My Religion" by REM, "Something in the Way She Moves" by James Taylor, and a song my children's father wrote, "Hard Left" by Jeremy Grainger.  I think these songs contain meaning for me because they are associated with times of great change in my life- some good, and some not so good.


This got me to thinking....instead of letting some song become attached to this stage in my life randomly, why don't I CHOOSE a theme song for this new stage in my life.  I am kicking a few around but one that really sticks out to me right now is "Good Love is on the Way" by John Mayer.  I think it portrays some of what I am hoping for for myself and for my children.


You see, these two beautiful people have been through a lot in the past several years, and I want NOTHING but love and goodness for them from here on out.  They deserve it.  Heck, I think all of us deserve a little "good love".

So, my question for you today is:  What song brings back a memory for you and why?  OR, if you could pick my new theme song, what would it be?  I'm interested to hear your suggestions.

PS- I've added the videos for the 3 songs I mentioned as new posts.  Someone needs to show me how to embed them into a post :)





2 comments:

  1. Girl- As one of your closest friends I have to say that I too believe that "Good love will come your way" and if I find what I believe to be good love for you and my babies I will certainly send it your way!
    You deserve the very best!
    Love ya,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine who wishes to remain anonymous suggest "I Can See Clearly Now" by Johnny Nash. Thanks Girl!!!! Glad you FB'ed me that one :)

    ReplyDelete