Sunday, February 24, 2013

This is for all the Single Moms



Well Friends, I'm back!  I started this blog last summer and really enjoyed writing, but somehow, as much as I enjoyed it, I put it to the side and kind of forgot about it. I've decided now, though, to give it another try.  Here goes nothin'.......

As most of you know, I have been a single mother for about 5 years now.  You would think that after 5 years, I might have gotten better at being a single parent, or that I may have even begun to embrace the challenge- well, WRONG!!!  The truth is, I don't like being a single mother Please DO NOT read that as I don't like being a mother.  I LOVE being a mother. But honestly, without the help of my wonderful parents family and friends, who  knows where my kids and I would be. I have been blessed beyond measure with help and support on this journey as a single parent. I often wonder, though, what it would be like to have a "partner in crime" on this child-rearing rollercoaster.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I think it would have been best for Baby Daddy and I to stay together, but man, would it be nice to have someone else here to take care of the 3 a.m. nightmares or the wet beds that happen RIGHT before it's time to get up.  Being a single parent is hard work.  You are on call 24/7.  The major burden of day to day family life falls straight on the single parent's back.

So, knowing how hard it is to be a single parent, and knowing I am fortunate to have lots of help, I have decided that for Lent, I want to help an organization that works specifically to help single mothers become self-sustainable and to raise emotionally healthy families. My hope is that maybe my experience will help just one person.

Here are a few facts about single mothers:
*There are10 million single moms living with children younger than 18
*50% of single mothers have an income of $25,000 or less
*Only one third of single mothers receive child support and the average amount is $300 per month

Luckily, my situation is better than most single mothers, but I often think about the "what ifs" of this life I lead.  I have great faith in God and know that all of this is in His hands.  If I had to take care of it myself, there's no way it would have turned out as well as it has!

Today, I have a challenge for you.....I challenge each person who reads this blog to seek out a single mother and offer to babysit so she can have a night out; show up at her house with dinner one night; offer to come over to clean and organize (thanks Mimi for all the times you've done that for me); send her a note of encouragement or buy her a cup of coffee.  It doesn't really matter what you do, just let her know she's not alone. In the end, that's all she really wants.

Hold on to your hats for tomorrow's post: Mothers who think boys can be raised without fathers or a significant male role model!

No comments:

Post a Comment